Protect your business and your clients from fraud and identity theft by having your confidential documents shredded, and by following these other simple tips to keep your personal information private:
- Change your bank account and debit card PINs on occasion.
- Review your banking and Visa statements on line to make sure the transactions are yours and report any suspicious activity to your bank or credit card company right away.
- Don’t share your PIN with anyone.
- When purchasing items over the telephone and someone asks you for information that does not seem relevant to the transaction, ask why they need to know – never divulge the information if it does not seem relevant or appropriate.
What Information Should You Safeguard?
- Financial information including payroll records, personnel files, cancelled checks, tax, accounting, credit and loan records, and invoices;
- Personal and employee information such as birth certificates, SIN and other ID numbers and passwords, trade union membership, health and medical records.